Wrangling
Hi All

Hope I've put this in the right place. I've heard some of our newer people comment that they don't know what to do when wrangling so I thought I'd start a thread with my ideas, & others can add to it.

Wrangling - Why?
Troopers need helpers, to keep everyone safe. Since vision is often limited inside a helmet or mask, there needs to be wranglers around to ensure the safety of both troopers & the public.

This covers things like ensuring that little kids don't walk in front of a trooper who doesn't see them - both trooper & kid could get hurt in that situation. It's also things like making sure a member of the public doesn't do something or touch a trooper when they aren't expecting it, causing damage to a person or a costume.

I've seen kids try to steal the gun from a TBs holster, or try to kick a trooper when their back is turned. Tiri's togorian costume seems to invite hair pulling. It's ok to politely tell someone not to touch.

Troopers may also need to be reminded that they've been in armour for an hour & maybe should have a break to get a drink. They might also need someone to talk for them, if their helmet doesn't have an amp in it. If their vision is very limited, they may not even be able to find their way back to the change room by themselves.

Once in a change room, they may need help in or out of their armour.

Wranglers may need to tell the public that sorry, we can't do just one more photo, we really have to go. It can be hard getting from point A to point B when everyone wants a photo, like at Supa Nova.

Wranglers should also take care of themselves, ensuring they have rest breaks & drink plenty of water. They should be ready to answer questions from the public, who always seem very curious about lots of Star Wars related things. If a wrangler notices a trooper struggling with something, offer help.

Anyone else got any wrangling tips? Remember, these are just my opinion based on things I've come across.
CV:sn11::DW11::SN2011v2:DW2012:GCSN12:CVI:DW13:
This thread is a great idea Mel as I found myself in just this situation at SN.

When as a wrangler you haven't worn the armour (TK for example) I had to constantly remind myself of how poor vision is in the helmet. Not only with walking into people, but also with obstacles like escalators ect.

Luckily we didn't have any blaster or thermal detonator tampering (except on the photo booth, you know who you are Buzzard) but it's another thing to keep an eye out for.

As far as the breaks went it was well organised as far as replacement troopers for the next shift went, and the venue had A/C but I can see that playing a big part at the likes of Dreamworld ect. I guess watching and learning the trooper your with comes into play (e.g. noticing a drop in enthusiasm, pointing to a break required).

As far as the change room is concerned I think I'm now closer to Buzzard that I thought I would be at this stage in our relationship (crotch strap wardrobe malfunction comes to mind), but all jokes aside this allows a Cadet a valuable insight into how armour is put on and how it works.

Deciding when photo's on the way to an appointment are taking too much time is something that I guess comes down to an experience call. I know when I wrangled for Buzzard & Phoenix it took us about 15mins to get to the booth. While we had time to spare, in retrospect I can see that saying "sorry the Troopers have appearance to make, please feel free to come by the stand for a picture" would have worked, but once again an experience and judgement call.

As far as wranglers taking care of themselves I'd have to agree 100%. Once again the venue had A/C, and I only wrangled for awhile and then helped out a little at the photo booth in my ID uniform, but I did neglect the rest period idea. When I got back to the accommodation that night I felt pretty wrecked and when I though back I realized that I hadn't had anything to eat or drink since 6:00 that morning. I do Car & Trade shows with work (many also involving driving a truck & enclosed trailer or 5th wheel trailer to venues as far away as NSW & VIC) so I'm not unfamiliar with long days on my feet talking to people, but I think the long line outside in the sun, coupled with slight dehydration was the thing that made me so tired. I've only got myself to blame as it was excitement at being there and wanting to do everything that caused me to overlook a basic thing like drinking water.

Anyway enough rambling from me, just my point of view from a very limited experience of Wrangling.
Stormtroopers: instant recognition combined with complete anonymity
:GCSN12: DW2012 BN12 GCSN13 :DW13:
Very well said guysSmile

Ive only got a couple of little things to add..

- get a good idea of what a costume needs to look like.. take a few seconds every now and then to cast your eye over the troopers in your care. Their shin may have dropped to the inside of their boot rather than the outside (this is usually really uncomfortable for the trooper, but not something they'll neccessarily raise a help-flag for). Get an idea of how shoulders are supposed to look, one may be dropping lower than the other, or twisting the wrong way. A neck seal may have popped out from chest armor. Wranglers are there to help and protect the troopers- but also to help keep them comfortable and looking good whilst theyre working :D

Also, keep a glance on the croud.. one thing I was taught once was that you can generally tell when someone or a group are psyching themselves up to cause mischief.. a group of teenage boys/girls huddled and giggling for example, glancing at a trooper in your care. The behaviour of people will generally indicate if theyre up to no good. You dont need to say anything, just subtly shift yourself between them and the trooper, or just smile, or even warn another wrangler (maybe a more experienced one) to just keep an eye on them.

Oh yeah, one other little thing I was taught, if you need to fix something for a trooper, let them know youre there first. Make sure they can see you, or tap them on the shoulder and tell them what youre going to fix Smile that way you dont get stepped on and they dont get freaked out by someone just randomly touching them *lol*
[Image: jImnAK.jpg]
Not to much more to add, The guys/lady's above me have pretty much covered it.

It pretty much comes down to keeping the trooper safe wether it be from people or, obstacles. I'm always on the look out for those people that try to ninja a photo while the trooper is walking past and stop the trooper so the person can take a photo.

When someone is taking a photo I find it best to stand to the side of the trooper but out of the way, this way you can keep a eyes on the troopers back to make sure no one takes anything or puts stickers on (at SN just gone the zombie walk people were very insistent on putting stickers on the troopers and Vader).

As Bids said, when your busy looking after other people you forget about your self. Remember you may not be in costume but you can still dehydrate and become low on energy.

Also a keen knowledge on what the 501st is great. You will get asked questions and there will be loads of them :P if you don't know something you can always point them to someone who might know, don't play mr knowitall and make things up XD
:GCSN12::SN2011v2:DW2012
GCSN13BN12:DW13:
With Any luck I will be making up a couple of A3 posters with wrangling tips on for the change-area at DW Smile
I can make them look pretty!? Smile

(Thursday 26-Apr-2012, 10:38 AM)Kev Vader Wrote:  With Any luck I will be making up a couple of A3 posters with wrangling tips on for the change-area at DW Smile
[Image: SIG_zpsed128473.jpg]
:GCSN12: DW2012 BN12
GCSN13 :DW13:
Sometimes a wrangler needs to point out to a trooper that someone wants a photo, as they can't see or hear the person wanting one...

In regards to the bad element we sometimes come across, remember that if you are carrying a camera or camcorder, a picture can often dissuade persons from doing anything bad, or trying anything. It can also help police identify persons should something have happened.
I survived Dreamworld 2010 to DW2015
BN10 to BN13
GCSN13
CVII
Another job of a wrangler is to take pictures for the public. Sometimes they want to be in the shot with the trooper, so be ready to offer to take the picture for them.
I survived Dreamworld 2010:dw11:DW2012:DW13:
I survived Supanova 2010:sn11::cv:CVI
This is a great thread, once all the sugestions are made, will make it a sticky thread
OMG how did I forget that, thanks for adding that Draco
I'll summarize this in the future, and add it to the dvd as text as well...
BN10 to BN13
GCSN13
CVII
(Thursday 26-Apr-2012, 12:49 PM)TheWolf Wrote:  I'll summarize this in the future, and add it to the dvd as text as well...

You wouldn't have to do it as text. Although an instruction list in the case is an idea. But on DVD you could make it an old school instructional video. I know Apok can do awesome voice over Wink.
Slightly off topic but related, I think the posters on our photobooth at SupaNova needs to be at least A3 - A4 is too small. And we need more posters to show the photo money goes to charity.

(Thursday 26-Apr-2012, 10:38 AM)Kev Vader Wrote:  With Any luck I will be making up a couple of A3 posters with wrangling tips on for the change-area at DW Smile
CV:sn11::DW11::SN2011v2:DW2012:GCSN12:CVI:DW13:
(Thursday 26-Apr-2012, 05:33 PM)SideshowMel Wrote:  Slightly off topic but related, I think the posters on our photobooth at SupaNova needs to be at least A3 - A4 is too small. And we need more posters to show the photo money goes to charity.

I loaded my iPad up with photobooth photos that we can display if there is a table near by. Just set it to Frame mode and then people can see what they are getting. I could bring this along to DW..

Understanding that if this was lost/stolen I would accept full responsibility for it. Plus I can track where it is at all times :P
(Thursday 26-Apr-2012, 05:33 PM)SideshowMel Wrote:  Slightly off topic but related, I think the posters on our photobooth at SupaNova needs to be at least A3 - A4 is too small. And we need more posters to show the photo money goes to charity.

Continuing the off topic stuff, I have volunteered to make a Corflute sign with the PB details, costs and where the money goes to. Free! YAY!

Just need the size wanted....

I will also do a raffle info sign if you like....
BN10 to BN13
GCSN13
CVII

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wrangling/Support Crew Information Phantom 28 59,778 Wednesday 28-Mar-2018, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Ashlyn_Dubreas