Hello to Redback Garrison
Hello to all the folks of the Redback Garrison. I'm going to put it out there that (like a lot of you guys) I grew up with Star Wars and went through the list of wanting to be many of the characters. Nothing I feel is quite as iconic as the Stormtrooper and ultimately that is why I find myself writing to you now. I want to be a (part time) Stormtrooper and I think it would be cool to hang out with like minded people. In addition to this I regard myself as a pretty community minded guy, working in the area of health and having done different volunteer work over the years. I see that you do a lot of charity events and I think it is a great way to combine something you love with something that helps others and puts a smile on their faces at the same time.

Anyhow, I'm keen to get suited up. I've been looking at the full Stormtrooper costume from Jedi Robe in the UK. I just wanted to check with you to determine whether this particular supplier provides costumes that would be up to scratch in terms of the standards set by the 501st.

I hope to hear from you guys soon and thanks to Rick Oliver for pointing me in the right direction.

The Ruski.
Hi Ruski,
Welcome to the Redback Forums... Smile

DW2012 BN12
GCSN13 :DW13:
Welcome to the Redbacks Ruski. Stormtroopers ( aka as TKs ) are a great iconic costume and we can always have more in the Garrison. I haven't heard of the Jedi Robe comp before, but Im sure someone around here has. Another place to look for info is one the main 501st board resouce section for Stormtroopers.
Duty * Honor * Empire

What do you call a stormtrooper who can hit a target?
TIE Pilot Cheeky
Hey Ruski...and welcome to the Redbacks.
Any questions please just ask away Smile
"You can run, but you'll only die tired."

DW2011DW2012DW2013DW2014DW2015
BN14GCSN15
Welcome Ruski

Like yourself I'm fairly new to this group but you will find them all very friendly and informative

From what I've learnt so far though I think you will be told that Jedi Robe would not be good enough for approval without a lot of extra work (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Look through the armour build threads there are some stickies there about different made armours depending on your body type/size/shape. You'll also need to think about what stormtrooper you want to be e.g ANH hero, ANH Stubt, ESB, ROTJ, or even get dirty as a sandie

Also look at the whitearmor.net site for specific 501st stormtrooper info
DW2013 to DW2018
(Saturday 13-Oct-2012, 01:21 PM)Duras Wrote:  From what I've learnt so far though I think you will be told that Jedi Robe would not be good enough for approval without a lot of extra work (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Look through the armour build threads there are some stickies there about different made armours depending on your body type/size/shape. You'll also need to think about what stormtrooper you want to be e.g ANH hero, ANH Stubt, ESB, ROTJ, or even get dirty as a sandie

Also look at the whitearmor.net site for specific 501st stormtrooper info
+1, you'll definitely spend more money modding it than it's worth. whitearmor.net (FISD - First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment) is the place to start your research. You'll find several threads about this very topic.

Good luck with your decision, and welcome to the Forum.
Stormtroopers: instant recognition combined with complete anonymity
:GCSN12: DW2012 BN12 GCSN13 :DW13:
Hey there Ruski! Welcome to the best Garrison on the planet!

I started with a TK, as well. I shopped around for a fair while before I invested in my kit - and when it finally arrived I was like a kid on christmas! Smile

There's several different Stormtrooper makers, who are all slightly different. Some armour is more adaptable for big frames, while some armour is better shaped for smaller frames. I think Muppet did a good breakdown of the different types of kits a while back... Anybody know where that thread went?
I survived Dreamworld 2010CVI
DW2011CVII
DW2012
DW2013
DW2014
DW2015
Welcome Ruski, where abouts do you hail from? We have members spread far and wide these days (there's a few of us in the remote system of Rockhampton even) so we may have someone near you.
Get yourself verified by another member and then we can really start revealing our secrets.
I'm shiny whitey (TK Storm Trooper) great costume, just don't start listening to them "dirty boys" the Sand Troopers (actually they are cool too, and I have to be careful what I say because they carry the big guns Smile )
Please, please, please and I can't stress this enough, ask on this forum before you spend money on buying stuff online/overseas/etc we want you to get the best result you can. (If it's the guy with the shop in the UK I'd steer clear, we have access to stuff that is more accurate and most likely better priced).
Very glad to hear you're into the charity side of this as well, for me it is the most rewarding part of what we do.

Michael
:dancingtk:
Michael (Angelman TK6729)
DW2012 :DW13: :DW14:
:GCSN12: GCSN13  GCSN14
I'm THAT guy from the video, 501st Documentary (Link)
(Saturday 13-Oct-2012, 03:15 PM)Moxxxie Wrote:  .... I think Muppet did a good breakdown of the different types of kits a while back... Anybody know where that thread went?

I think this is the one Moxxxie was talking about.
http://www.501st.com.au/forum/thread-1967.html
"You can run, but you'll only die tired."

DW2011DW2012DW2013DW2014DW2015
BN14GCSN15
Welcome Smile
Great to see you've got a costume in mind, now all you have to do is decide on which movie version you'll build (there's slight variations to each version of the classic TK)

I cannot second the advice above enough when it comes to asking on here before buying anything you see advertised online, there's a lot of suits out there claiming to be 501st Legion approved, but that don't make the grade, or cost more time and money than it's worth to get them up to scratch...

The type of kit you'll need will depend on a few things, but this is Muppet's thread on the main armour makers our gear comes from:
http://www.501st.com.au/forum/thread-1967.html

We're spread right across Queensland (like Angelman, I'm also located in Rocky) if you let us know where you're from, then some of the troopers close to you can let you know about events near you, and chances to meet the guys, ask questions etc. because there's a few pitfalls that can catch recruits out (especially when it comes to dodgy claims by ebay sellers) and it's a great way to meet new friends and share our love of Star Wars

You'll find everyone on here is super helpful, and whatever question you have, someone in the Redbacks will know the answer, all you need to do is ask Smile
Depending where you are located Bids has a armour party to put together his new RT-MOD made Stormtrooper armour at Gympie on the 27th

Otherwise Supanova is just round the corner and 501st will have a stand there

Two options for see the armour close up and picking brains in person, plus you can get ticked off as a verified person Smile
DW2013 to DW2018
Welcome to the Redback Garrison!

Great to see another iconic Stormtrooper joining the ranks. Doppeldaumen1
Hello All,

Just wanted to pass on a big thankyou for the welcome form the Redback Garrison so far. I've already received heaps of great advice. Getting started is going to take some time but I think it will be worth the wait.

I've made a few enquiries overseas re armour after following the thread originally provided by Muppe and looking at FISDt. I'm hoping this all works out.

I'm keen (like most) to get everything moving sooner rather than later.

How is it i get myself verified? Is coming to Supernova my best bet?

Just wanted to say thanks in particular to Duras, Bids, Phantom, Moxxxie, Joker and Angelman for their advice. Thanks for taking the time to write back to me.

FYI a couple of you guys asked where I was located. I'm in Bis Vegas. To the folks up in Rocky, I travel a bit with work so it could mean a catch-up in the future.

Regards,

The Ruski
No worries mate. As Duras mentioned I've got an Armor Party coming up in a fortnight so you're welcome to come along. If not there will be a bunch of us at Nova.
Stormtroopers: instant recognition combined with complete anonymity
:GCSN12: DW2012 BN12 GCSN13 :DW13:
Hi mate and welcome!

Once you have your TK here or you need any help in choosing the right kit for you, just send me a pm. As the FISD attachè for the redbacks, I'm here to help with everything tk related Wink

First bit of advise is to avoid jedirobe like the plague. Their stuff is incredibly overpriced and looks horrible. It will take a LOT of work and money to make one approveable. For the same amount of money you could get a much more accurate kit for the samr, if not less money.

If you don't mind me asking, what size are you??? That is pretty much one of the biggest determining factors when picking out the right type of armour
 [Image: kaizoku_sentai_gokaiger_henshin_hd_final...55xtn2.gif]

GCSN13
DW2011  DW2012 DW2013 DW2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Redback Garrison squads DEX 2 4,230 Sunday 8-Jan-2017, 03:51 PM
Last Post: DEX
  Hello Redback Garrison 1phasma 14 14,609 Monday 23-May-2016, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Gix
  Greetings Redback Garrison THX1138 10 12,767 Thursday 2-Apr-2015, 09:34 AM
Last Post: THX1138