Gold Coast Supanova 2017
Troop Report 
Date: 21 April to 23 April 2017

Venue: Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre

Time: Bumpin 12pm Friday. 10am-6pm Saturday and Sunday. 

Mission: To amaze the Supanova crowds with our awesomeness while raising money for charity.

Trooper Attendance: http://www.501st.com.au/forum/signupsheet.php?eid=1205

Details: 

There are a lot of people to thank and acknowledge. First thing to note is with 61 troopers and support crew this is the largest contingent the 501st and Rebel Legions has ever sent to Supanova at the Gold Coast. All these volunteers had to pay money to attend, feed, transport and accommodate themselves, many a long way from home. It was an amazing effort by all involved.  

Thanks to the bump in and bump out crews for a smooth and quick operation. Thanks to Rubber for providing the 2 Falcon backdrops and Beanie for Tattooine. We deployed 3 backdrops and an assortment of banners and other props to draw people to the table. All up we presented the public with a first class display. 

We had a particular focus this weekend to send people to the table. When spruiking at the photo stands there isn't time to discuss the other events we wanted to promote, particularly Dreamworld and the GECB. The best way to get them to the table was to promote the raffle. The result was a massive 388 raffle ticket sales. Thanks to everyone who manned the table over the weekend, it was an important element and you did a great job. 

Thanks to WEB for the Tusken helmet raffle prize. The Tusken is an iconic build that was easy to sell. Thanks also to Deltorn for donating the diorama, that was a great addition to the prize pool. 

Thank you to the Galactic Academy troopers and their parents. They made a great contribution handing out flyers, and the resilience of some of these kids on the stands was amazing. Having GA kids on the stands makes it so much easier to get little kids into photos, and the reaction from the public was great. 

Thanks to our friends from the Southern Cross Garrison, you're great to work with and your contribution was very welcome. Particular thanks to Tappa for being our Vader for the weekend. Your long hours in costume on the stands, leading the parade and a massive contribution in the park had a fantastic response from the public. 

Thanks to Hire a Tardis for again contributing to our charity total. These guys are always great to deal with and we appreciate their support.  

Supanova as a business were very easy to deal with and extremely accommodating. With some things they could be flexible and some things they couldn't, and that will vary from event to event. But it was clear I was benefiting from the long history of cooperation and understanding they had of our needs. They put our stand in a first class position right next to the Supanova Store, and we really appreciated the improved location this year.

Superhero Weekend
This year we were invited to participate in the Superhero Weekend at the park across from the GCEC. It was set up as a separate event with Duras leading the troop. We had to ask troopers at the end of a long day of trooping Supanova to volunteer to send a squad of troopers and support crew across the road while keeping enough to cover the stands at Supanova. And again in the morning after the parade. They gave us a $500 donation for that, plus what we collected in the buckets.

The combined effort required to do all this was enormous and we were initially thinking it was too ambitious to cover everything. Duras did a great job putting together a team and worked in with us so we had enough to cover both events safely. And as became a constant theme over the weekend, people stepped up. We were amazed at the willingness of people to step up and help. Just a constant flow of people looking out for each other and getting the job done. It really was a joy to watch and it bodes well for the Dreamworld event next month.   

This was my first con as GEM and there was plenty to learn. Probably the biggest learning for me personally was how fluid a large con is. Planning is important but will only take you so far. When the curveballs come you have to adapt and overcome on the spot. Thank you Adam, Rick and Kev for your experience and support. 

My command group was an outstanding combination. It is simply impossible to GEM an event this large and complex alone. You need a team you can trust to manage things when you are busy elsewhere. Deltorn brought a wealth of experience and connections. He was invaluable in helping us navigate the processes and avoiding the pitfalls. He was in charge of that all important table and he kept going long after his body told him to stop. Thanks Mike for all those late night chats and your efforts over the weekend you are a legend. 

Last but not least is my number one 2IC Dark Dora. Stacey has been tireless in her support and has done an enormous amount of work in the weeks leading up to the event. For the mixer she found the perfect family friendly venue with great value food 5 minutes walk from the convention centre. They had a very respectable parmy for $15 too! She had a separate area set aside for us, and it wasn't noisy. To anyone who thinks organising a large mixer is just booking a table, think again. Stacey navigated a lot of issues and delivered a great mixer.

Stacey's performance on the day would not be a surprise to anyone. If she wasn't bouncing around in her jawa on the stands, she was out the front spruiking the raffle. She encouraged and supported the GA and RL who made great contributions this year. She just simply did not stop working the whole weekend. I could not have done it without you honey thank you. 

Charity Funds Raised: $5063.61 for Cancer Council via the Razorback Squad Relay for Life Team. 
Includes $500 from the Superhero Weekend and the proceeds from the Hire a Tardis collection.  

Injuries / Malfunctions: No injuries. Some wear and tear malfunctions, nothing gaff tape and zip ties couldn't fix!

Public Incidents: Nil

Mission Status: Complete Success

Photos: Just one of the setup. See Facebook for more.

GCSN16 >> GCSN19
DW2015 >> DW2018
OCC2015 >> OCC18  
BN15 >> SN18
Great work to everyone involved :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FNG SN17 OCC2015DW2015BN15DW2016 DW2017
Great work Dave and Stacey taking on the event , sorry we couldn't make it, well done to everyone who made it a great weekend.
BN12GCSN13:DW13:
Table staff were myself, Deltorn, Jailek, (almost all weekend) with Chief, Payney, Mewsefet and whoever else was there after i left on sunday.

thanks all!
<p>
[Image: CtjvZdX.gif]
FNG
Distance traveled to troop: 98462kms
Once member of TAG before Redback was a squad, Redback Inter-Garrison Officer (2010-2012) & Merchandise officer (2015-2017) and Tatooine Base Command 2012-2016
</p>
Great work Dave and Stacey and to all Redbacks helping out during, before and after the con.
Makes for an enjoyable event when you have a great command team running the show.
Well done Dave and Stacey and well the done to the troopers and support crew, who were able to make the time to assist over the weekend.
Thanks Dave, Stacey and Deltorn.
You guys did a fantastic job and everything ran great.
I hope you all got to enjoy yourselves as well.
[Image: forumsig3.jpg]
Wow. GC-Nova seems intense. Congrats to everyone for pulling it off. Display looked fantastic.
Outstanding work by the event team , terrific job done by those that actually trooped , great total raised for the weekend.
DW2013GCSN13BN12
DW2014GCSN14BN13
              GCSN15BN14
Great work team and great result.
Thank you Dave, Stacey and Mike. Great work

====================================================================
Proud Redback Garrison member, Redback Alliance member and Tatooine Base CO
Fantastic work by Teiwaz, his GSCN crew and all that attended. It was extremely well run and I think the largest surplus from slices a Nova has ever had! A great total for the weekend and nice large boost to our yearly total. It was great to be able to come to a Nova for at least most of a day. Excellent work team.
Good fun and went smoothly big thanks from my family to you
DW2013 to DW2018
I would also like to thank everyone for an awesome weekend. The teamwork of all of the troopers, support crew and GA kids made this a successful event. To Teiwaz my wonderful husband who worked tirelessly in the weeks leading up to Nova. Negotiating with Super Nova organisers in trying to get us all the best deal for slices and stand position etc. Dave tirelessly lead the entire team this weekend making sure everyone had a fantastic time. If he wasn't on the floor spruiking/wrangling he also was in his Scout doing the famous Teiwaz pose we have all come to know. Well done Honey I am proud of you in delivering such a successful Nova
GCSN16 >> GCSN18  
DW2016 >> DW2018
OCC2015 >> OCC18
BN15 >> SN18
Fantastic effort to all troopers and wranglers!

I am so glad I found you and didn't kill you.
Tusken 
B2B 
OCC18 (BARELY!)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ABC Gold Coast - May The Fourth Be With You Ktty 2 1,433 Thursday 13-May-2021, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Meowied_Cass
Troop Report Gold Coast Supanova 2019 Squid 5 4,462 Thursday 9-May-2019, 04:09 PM
Last Post: APOK
  Hospital Heroes Ball - Gold Coast Hospital Foundation Darth Cooper 7 7,199 Thursday 23-Aug-2018, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Ktty