Qld Air Museum Open Cockpit Weekend July 2016
Troop Report 
Date: Sat and Sun 2-3 July 2016

Venue: Queensland Air Museum, 9 Pathfinders Drive, Caloundra West, Qld

Time: 1000-1500 each day

Mission: To add some Star Wars magic to the Air Museum’s annual Open Cockpit weekend, their biggest fundraising event of the year. This is our 4th invite and the organisers love us attending and interacting with the crowds. This year was bigger than ever, and the museum have added a restored Canberra Bomber to their collection, jumping castle and several new engines.

Trooper Attendance:

SATURDAY
Redback Garrison:
Studio49 – Vader
Zerebin – Kylo Ren
Baytrooper – Snowtrooper
Slide Effect – Tie Pilot
Scoot040 – Tie Pilot
Big Dub – Tie Pilot
Mykill – Reserve Pilot
Wolf - Jawa

RL:
Gavin – Xwing pilot

GA:
Xaviar – Mini Vader
Sebastian – jawa

Support Crew:
Shazzam
Imperial Drone
Triple9
Rebelrach – POC
Tobalation - RL

SUNDAY
Redback Garrison:
Stormraven – Tie Pilot
Mykill – Reserve Pilot
Cadet Smiddy - Biker Scout (costume test run with GML permission)
Spooky - Jawa

RL:
Brace – Xwing pilot
Rebelrach – Xwing pilot

Support Crew:
Shazzam

Details: The coded message (an older code but it checked out) went out to the Imperial Fleet that at Mos Eisley Spaceport (AKA Qld Air Museum) aircraft old and new were being assembled for the annual inspection, and a Star Wars presence was naturally required to ensure law and order was maintained amongst the mass of Galactic Citizens arriving (over 4,000 it was recorded).

Troopers boarded transports, gunships and speeders, hitting light speed through surprisingly little early morning galactic traffic, arriving safely from 8am on Saturday. Assembling in an abandoned bunker (demountable out the back of Hangar 2) a command post was established, supplies laid out, and Vader (did somebody say ‘Diva’) had suitable space to hang up his cloak). Luckily the weather was as mild as an Endor spring, so troopers were comfortable as they kitted up to observe the local citizens and test out the ‘Old Republic’ aircraft on display, keep galactic order, watching for scum and villainy and looking for those missing droids (still).

Troopers were immediately popular with the local inhabitants, even Kylo Ren as he stalked around angrily as if it were Star Killer Base. Baytrooper and Wolf, seasoned veterans and Big Dub, on his first mission, took their orders with gusto, making 4 kids cry before lunch, mission accomplished. The throngs of locals parted to watch Vader and his The Tie Pilots (or ‘fake Vaders Collin, Ian and Bruce’) parade around the museum, they themselves awed by the array of old air transportation on display. Slide Effects younglings put in a great effort also. Being hugely outnumbered, Xwing pilot Gavin was of no great threat, joining the Imperials checking out the F-111, a Mig, a DC3, army choppers, the cargo hold of a Caribou, a Tri-plane Red Baron, Waco bi plane - made of all sorts of crude matter.

By lunch time Kylo was in quite a mood. He ordered a pizza under ‘Kylo’ as well as a can of Solo. He finished what he started, stabbing the solo can with his saber while troopers scattered. But really, what do you expect of someone with such unresolved family issues.

After lunch the troopers were asked to record some local TV news footage, from Slide Effect trying to talk to the camera through his helmet and troopers needing several takes to ‘walk’ up to the camera, after the reporter had left we all wondered if that wasn’t just some video for his kid! It never did make the news that night.

At Gavin’s coaxing, Studio49 - Vader, Scoot040 and Big Dub joined him to re-create the trench run scene from A New Hope in a ‘trench’ between buildings. It was amusing to say the very least.

On the Sunday, part 2 of the mission saw the Imperials and Rebels more evenly matched, joined by another cheeky jawa. Troopers were invited to the aerodrome tarmac to inspect aircraft on docking bay 94, and the Mos Eisely spaceport administrators were most pleased with the Star Wars presence, inviting all parties back next year, but with bigger numbers.

Troopers flew in and out over both days, committing many hours to observing the Galactic citizens and questioning them about a suspected Rebel uprising and illegal smuggler runs. Some troopers even found local accommodation within the Space Port overnight, reporting back that ‘Caloundra’ was not, as reported, “a wretched hive of scum and villainy”. While a few lucky troopers were able to test drive the F-111 fighter jet, others tried out the Canberra Bomber (try folding Mykill into that cockpit), and the Mig was also a bit of a squeeze.

With the sun setting on another awesome Tatooine winters day, and reports of heavy asteroid traffic on the M1, troopers departed. Let’s face it, the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field are 3,720…. to 1.

Charity Funds Raised: Nil

Injuries / Malfunctions: Nil.

Public Incidents: NIL. Though we lost count of how many small kiddies cried at all the Tie Pilots. Big Dub we’re talking about you!

Mission Status: SUCCESS – as always!!! We received positive feedback and thanks from the organisers, volunteers, vendors and the public. It’s a great fun troop, with awesome photo opportunities with the vintage aircraft, cars and props and being all weekend folks have time to catch up and enjoy themselves.

On a Personal Note: A HUGE thanks to all the troopers that came a long way to make the weekend so fantastic. It’s great to see the mix of characters over both days and how popular Star Wars is right now with old and young alike. Having Vader and Kylo Ren there, multiple Tie Pilots and Xwings over the weekend, jawas, scout, snowtrooper and 2 GA's as well, was excellent.

Our wranglers were invaluable, ushering troopers around aircraft wings and noses, over walkways and around the crowds. Shazzam wrangled both days, even keeping Spooky the jawa in line on Sunday, no mean feat. Imperial Drone, Triple9 and Tobalation were a huge help on Saturday with so many troopers. Big thanks to Mykill also for attending both days. The combo of characters makes this troop such a great success, along with the cooperation of everyone. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s my favourite troop of the year!

Photos I only got 550 pics, sorry about that. In no particular order…..

It Begins….

[Image: IMG_9176_zpsj1ispxez.jpg]

But Grandfather…I wanna go on the jumping castle..

[Image: b32a19ef-d6fb-4ae4-b6a6-2ec5c1e058fe_zps4ezpnmps.jpg]

Vader and his pilots and The Red Baron

[Image: IMG_9408_zpsbcjusi0b.jpg]

Big Dub and the F-111

[Image: IMG_9502_zpsvygxabek.jpg]

Those flyboys…no respect for the boss

[Image: IMG_9364_zpsje210ga8.jpg]

Is Vader photobombing here?

[Image: IMG_9339_zpsv5jptsry.jpg]

Kylo is in need of Imperial Credits

[Image: 1b04f586-8263-488c-b1de-8c07155d67c5_zpsdfllhehu.jpg]

Baytrooper showing off his colouring skills

[Image: IMG_9251_zpsqyqacqbl.jpg]

Orange and White

[Image: dcc0313f-fc3b-40af-b2fe-7e7c4c5b2d5c_zpsoovn6lgt.jpg]

The budget fan-made Trench Run scene…..edit by Studio39

[Image: 13575452_308548489533098_1582048280_o_zpsyn7pla3i.jpeg]

Rebel photobomb!

[Image: IMG_9196_zps2zt1v1r9.jpg]

You’re not my real dad! I think…

[Image: IMG_9183_zpsx53csfjd.jpg]

Imperial Shuttle, Caribou …same same

[Image: IMG_9169_zpse8ydhrhz.jpg]

Snowies..they are sneaky

[Image: IMG_9160_zpsin2xlsvy.jpg]

What are you looking at?

[Image: IMG_9148_zps8utxktzc.jpg]

Jawa colouring

[Image: IMG_6045_zpsn5z5q6pa.jpg]

Some Airforce cadet fans

[Image: IMG_6033_zpswuk1pxk1.jpg]

Class

[Image: IMG_9273_zpsfxnxsg1h.jpg]

The Saturday troop crew

[Image: 13589071_10154040977586622_1785227916_o_zpsktr71muh.jpg]

Put them in the cargo hold….

[Image: IMG_6177_zpslrhxcnea.jpg]

You cannot take Spooky anywhere

[Image: IMG_9631_zps5db0ssey.jpg]

Baytrooper making a new friend

[Image: IMG_9491_zpsfjx8jqiz.jpg]

The pilot and the navigator…

[Image: IMG_9615_zpsi1l59tb4.jpg]

The Sunday team

[Image: IMG_9630_zpshjfw7kv2.jpg]

Some of the Sunday crew

[Image: IMG_9665_zpsj9vpxgbi.jpg]
Great Troop, great Troopers and Great Report.....

A MASSIVE thanks also needs to go to RebelRach as the POC on this one.
I only trooped the Saturday but the event went of without a hitch, everyone was controlled and where they needed to be all day with an absolute minimum of fuss and the organisation of the troop was excellent.

This was so much fun and I really look forward to trooping this one again next year.

OH and Channel 7 did contact me to tell me the story will most likely run on the You Tube channel in the next day or so...........
[Image: XWRBjqC.jpg]
Yep Rach you did awesome job and what a report! . Great guidance from all over the Saturday and it's a day I'll remember for a long time being my first troop. Really great crowds, crew and great support from the wranglers as the terrain was tricky. Bring on next year!

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk
DW2017 Tie OCC2017
[Image: xkUIaO4.jpg]
A brilliant event through and through
Huge thanks to all Rach for making it happen and thanks to all the wranglers and helpers alike, without you we don't troop!
I'll certainly be looking forward to next year!
DW2016 DW2018 DW2019 
BN16 SN17 SN18 SN19
Distance Traveled To Troops =  4346.4km
Was a great day, will be back next year with family in tow
Sith  Use your hate and strike me down  Sith
DW2017 FNG
Awesome report, Rach did an amazing job organising everything such a big weekend and it went perfect (although for anyone that hasn't seen it I highly recommend watching MyKill try and climb out of an F-111 cockpit) Smile

Was a great week end though with some awesome troopers looking forward to next year Smile
“Your a member of the rebel alliance, and a traitor.”
Great work troopers, and a very decent troop report to boot, loved the pics!
Was a great day and forgot how much fun it is to be apart of ,cant wait for next years event . And to echo above thank for a great troop and fun filled day.

Cheers
Wolf
FNG
DW2013
DW2014
Sensational work everyone and a great troop report.
I must get along to this one next year.
"The Death Star plans are not in the main computer"

[Image: T0ZvRQv.png]

[Image: Eu2xjUD.png]
Love this troop Notworthy its a great event and the crowds are awesome as well....and as for getting pics in the F -111 = Hurrah

Next year they will have a former RAAF Mirage as well to get photos in.
Duty * Honor * Empire

What do you call a stormtrooper who can hit a target?
TIE Pilot Cheeky
So bummed I had to miss this again due to work. Looked great yet again. Hopefully next year. Great job team.
(Wednesday 6-Jul-2016, 12:09 AM)stormraven Wrote:  Love this troop Notworthy its a great event and the crowds are awesome as well....and as for getting pics in the F -111 = Hurrah

Next year they will have a former RAAF Mirage as well to get photos in.

That RAAF Mirage is the ARDU bird, A3-16 which just so happens to be the exact airframe my father looked after during his time at RAAF ARDU in South Australia (he claims to have pics of me in it!!).

The airframe itself has a lot of history being the only Mirage to survive a belly landing anywhere in the world. Dad was telling me last night that the pilot was flown to France so Dassault could try to figure out how he did it.

I'm really looking forward to it arriving so I can go up there with him and see it.
[Image: XWRBjqC.jpg]
Looked like a great day. Well done.
"Research, THEN, make it look like the picture!"

DW2011DW2012DW2013DW2014DW2015
BN14GCSN15
It was a fun troop to wrangle for Smile Credit to Rebelrach for being POC, she did a great job organising us all.

Next year I'll be in a TI costume so I'll be able to be a part of the shenanigans :P
Well done guys, looks like you had a great time!!
You've taken your first step into a larger world.

The droid.. stole a freighter?

DW2016

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Troop Report Qld Air Museum Open Cockpit Weekend July 8-9 2022 Rebelrach 2 576 Monday 25-Jul-2022, 12:35 PM
Last Post: TripleSix
Troop Report Qld Air Museum Open Cockpit Weekend July 6-7, 2019 Troop Report Rebelrach 10 7,249 Wednesday 21-Aug-2019, 08:52 AM
Last Post: TripleSix
Troop Report Qld Air Museum Open Cockpit Weekend July 7-8 2018 Troop Report Rebelrach 5 5,856 Wednesday 18-Jul-2018, 03:32 PM
Last Post: RoboTom