2017 Qld Air Museum Open Cockpit Weekend
Troop Report 
Date: Sat and Sun 1-2 July 2017

Venue: Queensland Air Museum, 9 Pathfinders Drive, Caloundra West, Qld

Time: 1000-1400 each day

Mission: To – yet again - add some Star Wars magic to the Air Museum’s annual Open Cockpit weekend, their biggest fundraising event of the year. This is our 6th invite and the organisers love us attending and interacting with the crowds. This year was bigger than ever, the museum have added a Mirage and moved the collection around, as well as a visit from a navy Sea Hawk, and for the first time, the local Westpac helicopter rescue centre had an open day Saturday to coincide with the Air Museum event.

Trooper Attendance:

SATURDAY
Redback Garrison:
Studio39 – Vader
Bolt:  Commander Cody
Scoot040 – Tie Pilot
Wendall – Tie Pilot
Stormraven – Tie Pilot 181st
Mykill – Reserve Tie Pilot
Drone: Reserve Tie Pilot
Blue – Imperial Crewman

RL:
Gavin – Xwing pilot

GA:
Mia – Captain Phasma
Zach – Kylo Ren
Bede - Snowtrooper
Luke - Jedi

Support Crew:
Bally - Cadet
Rebelrach – Wrangle/POC
Big Dub – Wrangling 4 kids

SUNDAY
Redback Garrison:

Stormraven – Tie Pilot 181st
Slide Effect – Tie Pilot
Drone – Reserve Tie Pilot

RL:
Sithprincess – Xwing pilot
Rebelrach – Xwing pilot

Support Crew:
Lucky Phil

Galactic Academy:
Xaviar – TK
Sébastian – Jango Fett

Details:  Another sunny and cool weekend perfect for turning and burning at the Qld Air Museum in Caloundra was upon us for our 6th visit to the Open Cockpit weekend, which keeps getting bigger and better.

On Saturday, with Vader in attendance, not to mention three Tie Pilots (#notVader), two reserves and a crewman, black was definitely the ‘in’ colour for the day.

Troopers wandered through the museum stopping for endless photos with the public.  A tradition of stopping by the front of the Caribou transport for the troop group photo always attracts a big crowd, and this year was no exception on both days. With Big Dub’s four offspring in costume, the group drew some great reactions.
This year the coast Westpac rescue helicopter centre was open next door to the public for the first time and troopers were invited to drop in and review the 2 rescue choppers and surf skis on display. Troopers were mobbed by the crowds and staff - and Vader did well to return to base with ‘just one more’ photo echoing in his helmet.

Troopers also visited the flight line at the airport nearby, with the huge Navy Sea Hawk on display, and several TAVIS (historical) aircraft on ground. A break for lunch and back on duty until 2pm patrolling past the F-111 and new Mirage, the vintage cars and Day 1 was done. Some troopers departed with long drives home, the rest stopped for an adult beverage at the local pub.

Day 2 was another perfect sunny trooping day, with a fresh group of troopers and GA’s and a few returning for more from Day 1.  Crowds swelled by lunch time, the museum was packed again with fans and folks keen for photos. With 2 Tie pilots vs 2 xwing pilots the battle for supremacy was on.  Slide Effect’s two GA’s were a huge hit, working the crowd and proving very popular. Pack ups and departures after lunch, with a personal thanks (and much hand shaking) from the organisers as we left, topped off the day.

Charity Funds Raised: Nil

Injuries / Malfunctions: Nil.

Public Incidents: NIL. Though we lost count of how many small kiddies cried at all the Tie Pilots. Big Dub we’re talking about you!

Mission Status: SUCCESS – as always!!! We received positive feedback and thanks from the organisers, volunteers, vendors and the public.  

We have an automatic invitation to attend next year and beyond, which is great as the troopers enjoy this event as much as the staff do having us there. Thank you to everyone local and those who drove a long way, troopers, wranglers, cadets, support crews and GA kids who attended over the weekend! See you all next year!

Photos
Day 1

[Image: IMG_3128_zpstk0lswyu.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3159_zps5wlfi4v5.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3244_zpspntizxus.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2111202_zpsp88zrncq.jpg]

Day 2

[Image: IMG_3314_zpsdcov10r4.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3367_zps1bxsfb5x.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3354_zpsrusysagz.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3336_zpsrm91gyhv.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3377_zpseqlt9ly1.jpg]
That was a fun troop. Looking forward to doing it again next year. Thanks Rach
One Day I will be as cool as Slide!
[Image: DW2017.png][Image: OCC2017.jpg] [Image: SN17.png] 
[Image: DW2018.png] [Image: SN18.png]
Another great troop   Doppeldaumen1 , the QAM is a great place to visit and to get to sit in so many aircraft is just awesome. I do think that Big Dubs try these chilli's they're not very hot  - and the result - needs to go in the Injury section though. 

I look forward to going along next year as well.
Duty * Honor * Empire

What do you call a stormtrooper who can hit a target?
TIE Pilot Cheeky
Awesome troop!! I love the QAM so driving down was more than worth it. Great weather and such a fun atmosphere, looking forward to doing it again next year.
[Image: 53289799330_7946086c0f_z.jpg]
Well done everyone, nice work.
DW2013GCSN13BN12
DW2014GCSN14BN13
              GCSN15BN14
Was great fun.
Thanks guys!   Doppeldaumen1
Bunnies..... The cutest things ever!
This was a great troop as usual and a must for anyone even remotely interested in aviation. And yeah, "Gav's Chilli Incident" should be recorded somewhere Smile
FNG  OCC2017  CVIII DW2017  BN16 OCC2016
As always, this was a fun troop - it was good to see how the displays have been moved around, and even some that weren't 100% finished last year have changed!  The bigger change room was definitely a surprise, and much appreciated.

If it hadn't been for some late afternoon health dramas unconnected to the troop (and strict orders from the POC not to show up anyway Hehehe ), I would have been back the Sunday - I'm already counting the days until next year!
"Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, I said supper is ready!"
DW2015 -> DW2018
OCC2015 -> OCC19
BN15 -> SN19
GCSN16 ->  GCSN19
Another great Troop at QAM!! Bring on 2018!!!
[Image: XWRBjqC.jpg]
Nice one troopers....
Have we ever hit anything with these things?

DW2016   OCC2016   BN16  
Arrgghh! I always seem to miss this event. Next year!

Looks like a great day, good work team.
Well done again Rach. It's the vibe of this event that makes it such great fun as well as a seriously cool place to troop. As slide said already looking forward to 2018.

I don't know who gave Gav the chilli but I would say as a guess it was issued to him as he was in rebel attire, next year he will be in black!
DW2017 Tie OCC2017
[Image: xkUIaO4.jpg]
Great work Rach. Was awesome to work with you guys.
[Image: aIWrVx8.gif]
Amazing work guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am so glad I found you and didn't kill you.
Tusken 
B2B 
OCC18 (BARELY!)
Fantastic work everyone.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
[Image: 174598_105937692815114_903723_n.jpg]WOOF WOOF!!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Troop Report Qld Air Museum Open Cockpit Weekend July 8-9 2022 Rebelrach 2 576 Monday 25-Jul-2022, 12:35 PM
Last Post: TripleSix
Troop Report Qld Air Museum Open Cockpit Weekend July 6-7, 2019 Troop Report Rebelrach 10 7,247 Wednesday 21-Aug-2019, 08:52 AM
Last Post: TripleSix
Troop Report Qld Air Museum Open Cockpit Weekend July 7-8 2018 Troop Report Rebelrach 5 5,856 Wednesday 18-Jul-2018, 03:32 PM
Last Post: RoboTom