3D Printed Scout Trooper Blaster
This is my first attempt at printing a usable prop using my 3D reprap printer.

This was printed using ABS on a MendelMax I have recently put together I call "Hello Thingy" http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?129,165312

I downloaded this model to sort out the print process because the scout blaster is small enough to fit within my print bed. The original model was just one of the many free 3D models in the Google 3D warehouse and looked close enough to try it out.

The question I have is how big should it be to be screen accurate? (is this model even remotely screen accurate?)

Quote:The generic measurement of the scout blaster is 21cm long (from tip of the barrel to end of the gun) and an 4cm inches maximum width for the main body. The barrel is 1cm in diameter. The Single Point Scope is 18.5cm long and 3.2cm in diameter at the back of the scope. The general diameter of the scope tube is 2.5cm (taken from http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/bik...aster.html)

Is 21cm the blaster body itself, or does that take into account the scope which sits a little back.

[Image: P1200646.JPG]

I sliced the model into 4 parts which makes it easier to print, but as you can see Im still getting some gaps when I run the printer at full speed.

The parts are ABS, and will glue easily with ABS paste but the best part is they are very light as the printer prints in a honeycomb rather than making them solid, so this blaster only weighs 135 grams
Southern banking clan security engineer
Hi April,
I read this thread on TAG too but here is what i have.

My csout blaster is TPE and all the measurements you said matched mine exact, as far as the 21 cm goes that is from the back of the scape to the fvery front of the barrel.
The scope itself being 19cm long and the barrel being 19cm also. so a 1cm difference at either end to make up 21cm.

Whether or not this is the scrren accurate measurement or not, im not certain but it matches mine 100%
I survived Dreamworld 2010
DW2011
DW2012
DW2013
DW2014
DW2015
Now that is cool!!

would love 1 of them
3D printers are so cool!
DW2013 to DW2018
Let me scale it a little bigger, its currently 20cm versus 21 and see if I can close some of those gaps before Im happy to supply them. Unless you want it for a child because I can pretty much print it at any size (within reason)

The total print uses around $20 of plastic filament depending on the quality of the plastic I use. I also have metalics though they look more like the silver lego colours when printed.
(Friday 21-Dec-2012, 11:43 AM)muppet Wrote:  Now that is cool!!

would love 1 of them

Ok, now I'm interested. I'm about as computer savvy as Jabba the Hutt, but for our 'teck' folks, how much would a 3D printer cost to put together? or could someone post up links to point me in the right direction, please?

I'm forever trying to make for fabricate parts for blasters and props so something like this could make my prop life a LOT easier.

Sniffer!!!!!!!
ONE SHOT. ONE KILL. NO EXCEPTIONS

I survived Dreamworld 2010I survived Supanova 2010:dw11SadJUST)
I've had a bit of a google

Can be as cheap as $600 with DIY self assembly up to thousands
DW2013 to DW2018
Yeah, you can get them for about $500 but they have a very small tray, so only very small jobs. For decent sized objects you are looking in the thousands.
I survived Dreamworld 2010
DW2011
DW2012
DW2013
DW2014
DW2015
Saw a video of one that could print a 1.2 meter wrench

Bet that isn't cheap
DW2013 to DW2018
i'd definitely grab one!
[Image: SIG_zpsed128473.jpg]
:GCSN12: DW2012 BN12
GCSN13 :DW13:
If your interested in printers, definitely do your research. Mine is a DIY and all the parts cost $1200, realistically it can print 23x23x16cm. The link to the RepRap forum is listed above where hello thingy is. Most of the cheaper kits have crappy electronics, and may not even have a heatbed which is needed to print in ABS.
Having spent the last 2 months making and learning about mine in the process, DIY requires a substantial investment in time
But still a very sexy toy to have
DW2013 to DW2018
I would be interested April.

$20.00 is too cheap, make sure you add a bit extra to go towards wear and tear on the machine and set up costs. No one will complain.
I survived Dreamworld 2010:dw11:DW2012:DW13:
I survived Supanova 2010:sn11::cv:CVI
I'd be up for two if you are selling them April.
Looking good April. I would be up for some as well. Probably two.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is a smoothie.

Learn from your past, live for the moment, pray for a future!

:TD: :GCSN12: :TD: DW2012 :TD:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Build Thread 3D printed DC-15a Bally 34 8,893 Thursday 29-Sep-2016, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Bally
  Oevil1 is finally assembling an Oevil1 Scout Blaster Oevil1 5 1,977 Saturday 9-Apr-2016, 06:13 AM
Last Post: TerrorFirma
  3D Printed Thermal Detonator Studio 49 8 2,623 Wednesday 30-Dec-2015, 08:39 AM
Last Post: Rayvn