Dreadnought’s Boba Fett EE-3 carbine rifle kit build
I like your attitude, putting in the extra effort is appreciated by all , as much as possible and where ever possible we try to replicate movie accuracy with our costumes and props , print lines aren't representative of the finish on blasters as a rule , the corse print lines are just too pronounced to pass as machining .
DW2013GCSN13BN12
DW2014GCSN14BN13
              GCSN15BN14
Absolutely agree. I want to do the character proud as well as those I'm trooping with.
[Image: 2PNdiLg.png]
After some great feedback, I purchased some XTC-3D resin and set to work eliminating the print lines. I took cyclops’ advice and first used an acetone soaked cloth and tried to reduce the lines before applying the resin. This was a nerve racking exercise as I was so worried about melting the plastic too much. Although it did indeed ‘fade’ the print lines, I’m sure if I had been more brave I might have pushed my luck and the acetone may have done more of the hard work and I consequently would have needed to use less resin. Speaking of which, the XTC-3D was amazing stuff, I highly recommend it – cheers to Payney for the suggestion. Fairly easy to work with, it has a slight hair dye smell. You do have to work reasonably fast and it is best not to ‘overwork’ it. After several layers, I was happy that the print lines were gone (or very nearly). I hit it all with a flat black yet again. This time, I then applied a gunmetal paint, then spent some time on the rust detail. After some feedback on the BHG, I created a slate blue colour, which I used as a highlight, favouring this colour over the aluminium paint from last time. This slate blue I think worked well, particularly on the stock. The reference photos of the (battered and fairly ugly) original blaster were definitely used more this time. I think I hit the marks this time I wanted to (old metal look, more effective use of the ‘rust’, loss of print lines). I’m pretty happy with it and it wouldn’t be this good without the feedback I received last time. Here it is after a matte clear coat (just a phone photo, I'm afraid)

[Image: Blaster%20finished_zpsaezfdedv.jpg]
Well done mate, the time to make improvements has paid off, looks good Smile
Exceptional work , a credit to you , can't wait to see it in real life .
DW2013GCSN13BN12
DW2014GCSN14BN13
              GCSN15BN14
Wow, Smile
[Image: VXgDbT3.jpg]
DW2016
FNG
Thanks guys, I appreciate both the encouragement and the constructive criticism.
That has certainly come a long way, excellent work mate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"The Death Star plans are not in the main computer"

[Image: T0ZvRQv.png]

[Image: Eu2xjUD.png]
That looks great. The extra effort shows in the result.
[Image: aIWrVx8.gif]
I love the finished colour on this. I now want to repaint my own EE-3. Any chance you could PM the Gun metal and rust colours you used?
A man in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested. 
Great work mate, Aprils designs are awesome and you have built it wellSmile

Terror
Looks really good mate. The extra time you took and taking on board the advice of others has paid off.
Well done mate.
Can you outrun a rocket.... How about we find out.

DW2015
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the kind comments. I'm definitely a lot more happy with it and it has shown me the value of pushing myself just a little more to get a much greater result. Lesson learned for future parts of my costume. Jim, sorry I've only just read your comment. I'll PM you those colours. Cheers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Build Thread Westar-35 Carbine Duras 2 955 Saturday 15-Aug-2015, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Duras
Build Thread Snipers new TX Sniper Rifle The Sniper 10 3,014 Monday 5-Aug-2013, 05:48 PM
Last Post: TerrorFirma
  3D Printed Boba Fett ESB Sidearm. aprilstorm 3 1,347 Wednesday 22-May-2013, 07:44 PM
Last Post: BIDS